About 5yr. log retention

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Dec 6 09:17:09 PST 2000

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 07:22:30PM -0500, Greg Newby wrote:

> Bottom line, as usual, is to trust no-one, including ISPs
> or sysadmins that have a strong privacy ethic.

On the web sites that I maintain, I have a stated policy that we
intend to challenge subpoenas for our web logs and user database. Of
course, talk is cheap, and I'd hope to find funding for lawyers or
pro-bono work. Then again, it's a likely possibility: When I got a
subpoena, I found pro bono counsel (and excellent one too).

-Declan