Net News as Cover Traffic

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Dec 3 12:23:51 PST 2000

At 08:56 AM 12/1/00 -0800, Ray Dillinger wrote:

>Yes, different.  alt.anonymous.messages is simply a message mix.
>I'm talking about a system that would provide lots of encrypted
>traffic *ON THE SAME PORTS* as whatever other encrypted traffic
>you were sending.  IOW, no one should be able to look at logs and
>say, "well, we can ignore that packet, it's NNTP.  This other
>packet over here is mail, and probably the thing we're after..."

That sounds like a job for IPSEC.  All the packets are encrypted
at the IP level, though you can still tell the source and
destination of the outer packet, and you can tell the packet size,
so it's not a strict Pipenet substitute - if you see traffic from
A to B and same-sized traffic from B to C, you can guess that
B might have routed some packets from A to C.
But it still answers your basic request.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com