Anarchist Q+A.Q. Are anarchists mindless violent thugs?

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Tue Apr 6 23:12:57 PDT 1999

A. I never cease to be amazed and amused by the violent caricatures that
dog the anarchist movement. When you examine the historical record,
anarchists are angels when compared to other social movements. Violence is
a by-word for religion, nationalism and racism. If you compare the limited
violence committed by anarchists to the death and destruction that¹s caused
by wars due to national, religious or racial differences, any violence
committed by anarchists is insignificant when compared to the glorious
record of the God, Queen and Country Brigade. So why are the stereotypes
that anarchists are mindless violent thugs such a constant feature in
popular literature and popular culture. The answer lies in the very
principles that define anarchism. Anarchists want to break down hierarchies
and rule themselves. Anarchist philosophy is a direct challenge to the idea
that people need rulers to survive. Within our cultural, economic and
religious context, people have a great deal of difficulty in believing that
if you break down hierarchies that society won¹t disintegrate. The popular
thinking is no rulers, no society, chaos. What¹s even more interesting is
that at the very moment that human beings have access to knowledge,
education and technology that makes hierarchies redundant, people are
fighting to maintain the structures and institutions that limit their
personal and social potential. The good thing is that more and more people
are beginning to realise that rulers are an unnecessary imposition on
people¹s aspirations and lives. Interestingly the decline of religion in
western society (atheism is Australia¹s third largest ?religion¹) is one of
those prerequisites that seems to be necessary to break down the
stereotypes that continue to dog the anarchist movement. Through our aims,
actions, activities, methods of organisation and planning, we can break
down these enduring myths. Our position in Australian society is similar to
the position of asylum seekers in this country, while asylum seekers are
kept apart from the population they can be successfully de-humanised. Once
contact increases, de-humanisation is difficult. As long as anarchists keep
to themselves, they can be stereotyped. Once their presence begins to be
felt in a community, they will be able to break down those stereotypes that
have made them figures of fear and more importantly derision in most parts
of the world.
 From http://www.ainfos.ca/ainfos12143.html