Crypto as contraband

jtatz at chemistry.ohio-state.edu jtatz at chemistry.ohio-state.edu
Mon Mar 9 14:32:28 PST 1998

> The morons in congress responded to intercepts of cellphones.  Because
> Newt was scanned.  Response: outlaw *cellphones*... which are
> themselves typically programmable as scanners of cell freqs.  > And scanners
> and programmable RF receivers.

The ECPA (Electronic Communications Privacy Act) banned cell phone
scanning, as of 1994 I believe. When Newt was monitored, that was
nothing really new.

Ch 83, (890-986?) is cell, however Federal law (Title 18, Chapter 119)
makes cell monitoring illegal only if it INTENTIONAL. And owning and
buying cell-phone capable devices is LEGAL. The only catch is who is
selling it, it is my understanding you can sell a cell scanner used
without a prob. I currently own a cell-capable scanner.

~Jim
A great man named Ben Tersian once said
"Avoid the cliche 'Information must be free'"
"Find it learn it embrace it and set it free."