PGP Employee on MKR

Fisher Mark FisherM at exch1.indy.tce.com
Mon Oct 27 10:21:15 PST 1997

Harka wrote:
>The "just don't work for them if 'ya don't like it"-argument  will
>last about 4 weeks...the approximate time a human can survive
>without eating. (or a couple of weeks less, if you have kids)
>
>I.e. unless you are the super-duper, three-times nobel-prize-winner
>(with lots of money in stocks), who can AFFORD to choose employers
>that freely, you will be DAMN GLAD to have a job AT ALL, regardless
>of their policies!

Start your own business.  It will take sacrifice, but it can be done.
It doesn't even need to be in your day-job profession, for that matter
-- of the 4 start-ups I've been in, the biggest crash-and-burn was in
the computer business (I seem to think mainly like a "practical
researcher" rather than a businessperson when it comes to computers...).

One of her problems is that teaching is basically a monopoly profession
(a fact we are dealing with in our own family) -- there is no second,
third etc. public school system as an employer.  Another is that she is
living in the confines of New York City, although I would think there
should be places within 60 miles of her ex-husband where the cost of
living should be significantly less.  (In the Indianapolis area, she
could be buying a house on her income -- maybe through a contract sale
by owner rather than through the more common "Realtor" scenario, but
buying a house nonetheless.)

"Chance favors only the prepared mind", Louis Pasteur once said -- we
took advantage of a new local trend 2 years ago, got a guaranteed sale
on our large house (2300 sq.ft. with basement), went to a small house
(1600 sq.ft. without basement), using the money left over to develop
some ground.  (All while helping my mother-in-law cope after my
father-in-law's death.)  There are opportunities out there -- you just
have to look for them.  They may take a lot of your time (so I advise
looking for opportunities that you don't mind or even like exercising at
10pm at night after working a day job and caring for your children), but
they do exist.
Mark Leighton Fisher          Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm at indy.tce.com          Indianapolis, IN
"Their walls are built of cannon balls, their motto is
'Don't Tread on Me'"