Prof Shamir arrested

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Tue Oct 22 12:38:51 PDT 1996

At 04:28 PM 10/22/96 -0500, Douglas B. Renner wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Bert-Jaap Koops wrote:
>> Excuse me if I don't react on this in detail. We have already
>> explained it, and there it stands: fraud means playing a game without
>> abiding by its rules. It's perfectly legitimate to establish a game
>> and to introduse rules of the game with it. If you want to play the
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>BIG Problem here.
>
>> game, play by its rules, otherwise don't play it. If you play it
>> while cheating, though, you must bear the consequences ("go directly
>> to jail" ;-).
>> Bert-Jaap

>I sincerely wish the world were THAT simple - there would be fewer problems.
[much good stuff deleted]
>In short, I disagree very strongly that it is as simple as playing by the
>rules.  The first rule is that you cannot know all the rules.  Further, any
>rule you _do_ know may be subject to change.  You have to become an
>expert on what is likely to be static for your own purposes, and act
>within the limits of your own knowledge.  Self-knowledge being perhaps our
>greatest challenge, there are _bound_ to be problems on all sides.
>
>Perhaps the widespread dissemination of strong crypto will ultimately
>have a scale-tilting effect on matters of taxation.
>-Doug

Thanks for helping to demolish Koops' argument, what little there is of it.
It's particularly inappropriate that he would try to use a "game" analogy to
defend his idea, because games are generally considered voluntary and it's
obvious that his invention would not be used in a purely voluntary basis.
Even if the only interference is the taxation of people who don't "play" and
the subsidy of people who do, that can't be consider a voluntary arrangement.

I look at it this way:  Koops is building only one piece in a jigsaw puzzle
of tyranny.  He doesn't want to talk about the complete picture, but it's
there and it's not pretty.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com