WWW proxies?

David Wagner daw at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 27 02:46:33 PDT 1996

In article <Pine.SUN.3.93.960426191223.12146D-100000 at polaris.mindport.net> you write:

> Has anyone developed such a beast yet?
>
> Will we have as extensive a WWW proxy network as remailer network?

Here's what I know of.

You could get an anonymous www.c2.org account and websurf
from it.  You can also publish web pages anonymously
from c2.  See
	http://www.c2.org/anon.phtml

It looks like there's an experimental anonymizing proxy
up in France (if you can tolerate the link delay):
	http://hplyot.obspm.fr:6661/
	http://hplyot.obspm.fr:80/~dl/anonproxy.txt
I haven't tested it myself, though.

CMU has a web anonymizer at
	http://anonymizer.cs.cmu.edu:8080/
Unfortunately, it's not useable by the public yet.  (They
promise to release it in early 1996.)

Decense is a early prototype of a double-blind penet-style
"re-webserver":
	http://www.clark.net/pub/rjc/decense.html

Wei Dai has talked about PipeNet, a network of "re-routers"
for general Internet traffic.  Unfortunately, at this point,
it's only a pipe dream on the whiteboard (as far as I know--
correct me if I'm wrong!).

If I left any out, let me know.

I hope to get a chance to play with these things (and possibly
install one on my machine) during the summer, when I'll have
some more free time.  Whee!