Encryption algorithms used in PrivaSoft (fwd)

David Van Wie dvw at hamachi.epr.com
Wed Sep 20 20:47:52 PDT 1995

Ian Goldberg writes:
> Waitasec...  I was under the impression that if you patented it, you had
> reveal it.  That's why RC4 isn't patented (it used to be a trade secret).

Many technologies have both patented parts and trade secret parts.  Often,
companies will maintain information that is in patent applications as trade
secret until they are granted.  I guess I should say _if_ they are granted!
 After a patent is granted, it is usually a good idea to also maintain some
trade secrets in your products -- since trade secrets never "expire," unlike
patents.  If the patent isn't granted, you still have the option of treating
the contents as an intellectual property under trade secret protection.

dvw