Progress so far

Peter Trei trei at process.com
Fri Aug 25 17:11:15 PDT 1995

Well, we're now about 30 hours into the crack, and here are some
very rough stats.

We've swept a bit over  1/4 of the keyspace. Only 60% of requests have
been ACKed so far - PLEASE check to make sure your acks have
been recorded.

The largest segments completed are a 128 (mine), and 4 100's
(3 are mine :-) Over 9000 segments have been swept in 3-segment
chunks, by far the most popular size.

I count people from uk, at, se, ee, fr, ie, kr, nl, de, no, au, za, nz,
fi, ca, be, is, and us, by a casual inspection - I'm sure there are more.

It's pretty clear that the server is the bottleneck, though also looks
like some people are biting off more than they can chew. I would
have probably swept another couple hundred today if I could have
obtained the key space.

Since a lot of sweepers are not on the cpunk list, notices of
updates and progress would be well put in the /brute/ page.

I'm going away for a week and a half's vacation. I'll try to watch for
results in sci.crypt, but I probably won't see the cpunk list until I'm
back.

 Good luck!

Peter Trei
Senior Software Engineer