Voluntary Governments?

Bob Snyder snyderra at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Fri Aug 5 20:59:06 PDT 1994

At 2:15 PM 8/4/94, Timothy C. May wrote:

>"Opening the list up"? I've been on the list since the beginning, and
>anarcho-capitalist, politico-cryptologic themes have _always_ been
>with us. The role and nature of government in the presence of strong
>cryptography is a recurring, and important, theme.

I have no problem with politico-cryptologic themes or discussions on the
role and nature of government in the presence of strong cryptography
appearing in Cypherpunks.  They certainly beat "PGP good,
Sternlight/Detweiller bad" messages.  I only question generic discussions
of forms of government without any reference to cryptography or even
privacy.  I don't see that as any more appropriate for the group than
abortion or health care debates, if it doesn't have a cryptological theme.

There's no question you've been involved longer than I.  I've only been on
the mailing list for 3 or 4 months.  In fact, I tend to make a concerted
effort to read messages from you, because they tend to be concise and
reasonable.  I'm just not sure that political commentary without a
reference to cryptography fits the purpose of the cypherpunks mailing list.

If you disagree with me, fine, we'll disagree, and I'll mentally filter out
another subject line. :-)  It's not all that hard, which is why I
originally responded via direct email rather than sending it to the list.

Bob

--
Bob Snyder N2KGO                                     MIME, RIPEM mail accepted
snyderra at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu                       finger for RIPEM public key