[telco-cg] Excerpt of article to appear in next week's issue of g ridtoday- relating to telco grid

Franco Travostino travos at nortel.com
Thu Jul 28 10:23:26 CDT 2005

Alan,
thank you for the sneak preview.

>this author continues to be troubled by the lack of attention given
>to networking grid sites

Hereafter my own solace to that troubling thought. With Grids still
trying to break through mainstream adoption and validation in the
F500, I believe that the networking ecosystem (vendors, providers
...) is moving in several directions to fill the pipeline now in
preparation for tomorrow's scaling of Grids. There are several
stepping stones, which are not necessarily labeled as "Grid" steps
(e.g., virtualization) and can serve several purposes. Some of these
stepping stones call for prep activities within a number of SDOs (not
just GGF), whereas others possibly call for internal re-structuring
of operations (e.g., greater horizontal integration, greater L4-7
engagement, etc.).

Also, the Grid movement has originated in a HPC reality blessed with
plentiful ad-hoc networks and ad-hoc operation of the same. While it
has grown by leaps and bounds since then, we don't seem to have heard
enough real-life use case stories to balance off that original view,
especially when it comes to utilization of the network. Hence the
continued quest for use cases with a documented strong network pull
(within telco-cg, and the ghpn-rg prior to that).

>There was no discussion of this at all at the Grid VIP Summit

I will be looking for the minutes to find out what does make it to
these VIPs' short list of to-do's.

>no follow-up from last October's OIF-GGF grid networking workshop

Since last October when I presented at the OIF, I have kept regular
communication with the OIF (GHPN hat on). At the Telco-CG interim
meeting at Supercomm, an OIF representative (Jonathan Sadler)
responded to my invitation and gave a live account of the OIF
Supercomm 05 demo, which breaks new grounds in multi-vendor dynamic
provisioning while showing quite an impressive roster of
participants. The GGF attendees resonated with the Grid potential.
There is a plan to work on an action register that is of mutual
appeal to OIF and GGF.

>and no resolution of the rampant confusion at the GGF14 Telco
>Community Group meeting

"rampant confusion" reads to me as a fairly severe judgement of the
1st official meeting of a newly chartered group, when there is
nothing written down in a draft document just yet, and purposely so.

The GGF and the Telco CG are a volunteer army. I hope that we
continue to enlist your support and contributions. I appreciated your
kicking off a discussion and bringing us back from summer vacations.

-franco