[sn-cg] GGF (OGF)19 North Carolina meeting. Session opportunity in storage.

Chris Kantarjiev CHRIS.KANTARJIEV at ORACLE.COM
Tue Nov 21 18:18:26 CST 2006

I'd like us to figure out how to engage the folks that have been gathering "enterprise requirements" for a couple of years now. That's EGR-RG in OGF parlance, and the fact that they're a -RG Research Group, means that they are not expected and don't expect to produce a standard.

That's OK in itself, but there's no point in them holding meetings if no one is going to listen to them.

I think they've collected a bunch of interesting use cases and data points, but it will take someone else paying attention to use it to drive standards. Maybe we should be the first.

(Or tell me I'm nuts, it's OK :-)

Best,
chris

>From Vincent Franceschini <Vincent.Franceschini at hds.com>
Sent Tue 11/21/2006 3:31 PM
To Paul Strong <paul.strong at gmail.com>; Hurley, John S <John.S.Hurley at boeing.com>
Cc Chris.Lionetti at microsoft.com; agy at netapp.com; sn-cg at ogf.org
Subject Re: [sn-cg] GGF (OGF)19 North Carolina meeting. Session opportunity in storage.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to all of you. Here’s a suggestion that we discussed on the sn-cg weekly call today:

-          This OGF19 will not include a typical GridWorld audience, but a traditional symposium one.

-          The SN-CG projects (Storage GME,…) are still in their infancy – lots to define/discuss as yet

-          Maybe we should leverage the panel idea to promote the Enterprise Grid requirement ideas (including Data Storage) and call for a broader participation to help addressing the Enterprise readiness issues of Grid standards, especially from product developers.

-          A moderator like you John would certainly help focusing on IT users issues.

Thoughts/comments?

Cheers!

Vincent.

Vincent Franceschini