[sem-grd] GGF DAIS(database access) specification for RDF databases?

Isao Kojima kojima at ni.aist.go.jp
Mon Nov 28 22:54:27 CST 2005

Dear Semantic Grid RG members;

We are proposing to discuss GGF DAIS(Database Access and
Integration Service)  specification  for RDF databases.

As you know, DAIS working group is discussing the
WS based interface to access distributed/remote
database systems.

The specification almost completed is WS-DAI(Database Access and Integration)
in which Relational, XML, Object Databases and Files
will  be accessed in a single WS-DAI framework.
DB specific functions are defined by separate  specs like
WS-DAIR(Relational) and WS-DAIX(XML) as  functional
extensions to the core WS-DAI.

Based on this approach, we want to discuss about
WS-DAI-RDF specification to handle RDF databases.

As you also know, W3C is discussing the RDF standard
query language SPARQL and several RDF databases like
Jena and Sesame support the language. W3C is also
discussing the wsdl based access protocol for SPARQL
and this should  cope with GGF WS-DAIs.

AIST has several RDF related database R&D projects
and we strongly feel  the importance of DAIS specification
for RDF databases which assumes future standard SPARQL.

I think this issue can be discussed within DAIS-WG,
however, handling RDF database within the grid middleware
such as WS-RF and OGSA-DAI seems to be very important
to the people of this RG.

If you are interested in this topic, please mail me(or to this ml)

We have a plan to have a Bof in GGF16 at Athens.

Sincerely
Isao

Isao Kojima

Leader