[sem-grd] Re: GGF14 Cultural Computing Grid panel

David De Roure dder at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jul 2 03:49:04 CDT 2005

A brief summary of my notes from the Cultural Computing Grid panel.
Others may wish to add all the salient points I've missed as this simply
comes from notes to myself during the panel and is therefore a somewhat
singular view!

The panel was chaired by Allison Clark (University of Illinois Urbana
Champaign) and the panelists were:

Reagan Moore, San Diego Supercomputing Center
Associate Director Data-Intensive Computing, and the person behind SRB
http://www.sdsc.edu/~moore/rmoore.html

Nosh Contractor, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
Department of Speech Communication, Department of Psychology, Knowledge networks
http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/nosh

Stephen Beck, Louisiana State University
http://www.music.lsu.edu/faculty/beck.html
Composer and e.g. responsible for Nemeaux cluster for computational arts

David DeRoure, University of Southampton
Semantic Grid
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~dder

Andre Brock, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Community Informatics

Reagan gave a demo of traversing the sites of the SRB-based WUN DataGrid
(SDSC, Bergen, Manchester, NCSA, Southampton).  Due to the speed of the
network connection this was an ongoing demo throughout the panel, handing
back to the panel in between visits ("...and now back to Reagan for the
next visit" :)  Actually this made a good point to support the panel
discussion, i.e. the issue of ease of use of the Grid infrastructure.

Nosh Contractor talked about making it easier to use the Grid by making
recommendations to users based on the trails of previous users, touching
on social networks.

Stephen, who is both user and "technician", made a number of very
pereptive points and I hope someone else noted them!  He later talked
about the recent ruling re Grokster and the significance of this.

I told the story of last summer's "E-science in the Arts and Humanities"
seminar run by the UK Arts and Humanities Research Council.  In discussing
the role of e-Science infrastructure (e.g. Grid) in A&H disciplines, I
had noted a substantial need for information discovery and integration
technologies - i.e. Semantic Grid requirements (see report of the seminar
on http://www.ahrcict.rdg.ac.uk/activities/e_science.pdf)

Andre Brock gave a community informatics perspective - community
informatics is about enabling communities with ICT.

I noted that much of the discussion had been about the A&H community as
*users* but that they also had much to offer the Grid community, e.g. in
terms of understanding of community informatics, or social shaping, of
confidentiality and privacy issues.

I later noted that an effective way of articulating the requirements of
researchers is to find out what *questions* they want to ask.  e.g. in the
GGF Semantic Grid charter there are example questions from e-Scientists,
and in the course of the panel there had been examples of other questions.

In general the panel identified the issues and challenges to achieving a
"cultural grid" - and there are many, but with new funding in the UK A&H
research community and other initiatives we look forward to making
progress.

Look out for HASS-RG events at future GGFs!

-- Dave