[sem-grd] xmas round-up

David De Roure dder at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 23 10:02:07 CST 2004

Hello

I've had a message from Mark Linesch, GGF chair, asking area
directors to pass on his thanks to all the GGF participants who
dedicate their time and effort to our community.   I add my
thanks to his!

Recent additions to the web site include the report on the
Semantic Grid and Semantic Web discussion at the IST conference
in the Hague.  There was also an article about this in EnterTheGrid.
For those of you in Europe, the next IST event involving Semantic
Grid is the workshop on 31 Jan and 1 Feb in Brussels.

We need to make some concrete plans for the next GGF in Korea.
As these events partly have an outreach role, and this is
particularly the case here as we are in Korea for the first
time, I am keen to have some Semantic Grid activity at the event.
We have previously discussed having a session on agents (or some
aspects of agents) and the grid and I am hopeful that we can
proceed along those lines.  We could do this as a regular Semantic
Grid session, a BoF or an ad hoc meeting.  It would help me to
know whom amongst you is planning to attend Korea?

For info, there's now an activity underway as part of the
concertation activities between european grid projects, focusing
on developing a grid resource description ontology.  Led by John
Brooke in Manchester, this builds on a number of previous efforts
in the community.  This is something we would perhaps like to see
coming into GGF through the Semantic Grid Research group in the
future.

We are in the process of creating some new material for the web
site, covering the IST Grid projects with a semantic dimension
that have started in the last few months.  This includes, for
example, the OntoGrid project.

In January I am planning to get together with Hai Zhuge, who leads
the Knowledge Grid activity in China.  I'll report back on this.

All for now.  Have a good Christmas, and I look forward to
working with you to take Semantic Grid activities forward in 2005.

Regards

-- Dave