[security-area] Agenda Firewall Issues BOF - GGF13

Leon Gommans lgommans at science.uva.nl
Tue Mar 8 13:10:25 CST 2005

Mike,

Thanks for raising the question. The answer will depend on
the charter discussion. Anybody is welcome to comment.

This is my personal view:

If you look for example the IETF Middlebox work, NATs
were part of the charter.

An answer may also depend on the outcome of the question
if this should be a Research Group or a Working Group.
A WG charter needs to be very focussed and
our Area Directors may prefer a limited the scope with
clearly defined deliverables. The scope may therefore be limited
to Firewalls. There is also a BoF that wants to look at VPN's.
A RG could pursue a wider range of middlebox services
such as mentioned in RFC 3303.

Kind regards .. Leon Gommans.