[security-area] Fwd: How ambiguous are names in actuality?

Mike Helm helm at fionn.es.net
Thu Jul 14 17:57:03 CDT 2005

"Von Welch" writes:
> An interesting note from Tim Polk on ambiguous names in
> PKIs. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to the types of PKIs we use in
> Grids since it assume a single trust anchor that cross certifies all
> peers.

On the contrary, at least 2 of 3 of these are very good recommendations
and definitely apply to Grids.

#1 is one that seems commonsensical (probably not very important, tho).
Software should do this  - what would openssl do?  (Do I need to ask :^)

#2 is something I have been campaigning for, for years.  Not alone either.

#3 name constraints - interesting, but name constraints are dead as a doornail
because of how PKIX managed this attribute; and besides, for Grid work, the
access control is provided in the wrong direction (the relying party
is supposed to apply this rule, in the Grid ideology), and so it is at
worst irrelevant and at best a minor, and hard to maintain, benefit.
This issue was solved, perhaps imperfectly, with the signing_policy file.

#2 is the key - is it enough?  I've seen some MS certs with an AIA extension
that point back to a trust anchor, so you can tell directly in what hierarchy
this cert belongs - is that useful?  Is that needed in a full network
architecture?