[security-area] Are we all lawless?

Howard Chivers chive at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 01:40:38 CST 2004

A few random comments:

This illustrates, again, that root trust arrangements are always outside the
system.

I suspect that the very dynamic VOs that folk consider are usually within
the context of some root agreement (e.g. institutions already have an
relationship, so one assigns part of its budget to a temporary group).  Many
dynamic business relationships are like this - I have a framework contract
with several suppliers that I've pre-qualified, I can then set up a supply
contract with any of those using a lightweight procedure rather than a full
contract negotiation.  If I'm looking for a supplier I have a choice -
either I do it quickly, in which case I don't surf the world I compete
within my framework suppliers, or I do it (very) slowly and compete and
negotiate a new contract.

regards
Howard