[security-area] Are we all lawless?

Doug Olson dlolson at lbl.gov
Wed Dec 8 09:02:16 CST 2004

Hi Olle,
First, I am not a lawyer, so ...
Even so, in the VO's that I am familiar with, largish physics experiments,
the VO is formed by agreements between the institutions that employ the
people who decide to be part of the VO.  The institutions are legal entities
but the agreements that form the VO are not necesarily legally binding and
the VO itself has no legal status, it is not something which can be sued,
files no tax returns, etc.  The institutions that employ the members perhaps
can be sued or held accountable, but in this research community, many of
them are part of some government and may be shielded from law suits.
My 2c.
Doug