[SAGA-RG] Python Bindings

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Oct 24 11:08:35 EDT 2012

Hi Steve,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Steve Fisher <dr.s.m.fisher at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2.1 Para 1 sentence 2 ->  While we expect that
> language bindings will, in general, follow that hierarchy for Python
> it is not useful to do so.

I would argue that usefulness is something to be evaluated by the
implementor.  I, for one, find inheritance exceedingly useful, also in
python ;-)

> Omit 2.1 para 3

That is supposed to lead into 2.1.x, so needs at least some
replacement.

> 2.1.1 CAN -> MAY

Hmm, first you state quite strongly that inheritance is not useful,
then you discourage the flattening option -- that does not fit?  MAY
means that this choice needs to be well motivated beyond the arguments
in this document (kind of).  Fine with me actually, but I think that
is not consistent.

> 2.1.2 Omit last two sentences

The last sentence is repetition, removed - but the sentence before is
relevant, no?

> 2.5 Omit this section - it will be hard to get right and will just
> cause confusion

I can see that - ok to add is as second appendix?

> Appendix A - This should start with an explananation of how to
> interpret what follows

Makes sense.

Thanks, Andre.

--