[SAGA-RG] SAGA Python Bindings

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Oct 3 17:25:05 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Ole Weidner <oweidner at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am very much in favor of Steve's proposal of not making the Python API
> more complex that absolutely necessary.
>
> On Oct 1, 2012, at 7:39 PM, Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net> wrote:
>
> I am not saying this approach should be used, at all.  Just saying
> that those parts *can* be implemented.  No real python disciple would
> ever like it, of course -- typed properties!  Ugh! :-P
>
> If no 'Python disciple' would like it, it should absolutely not go into the
> Python language bindings, IMHO.

Ok, I should have been more careful - that remark was a little
tongue-in-cheek...

By now I am quite convinced that there is no single definition of
'pythonesque' outside of what python core represents.  So for me,
pythonesque is what can easily be done in python without abusing the
language.  But ask 3 other people about that, and you'll get 3 or more
different answers... *sigh*

So I think that the current Bliss attribute interface will not meet
the love of python programmers in general.  I still think it is
pythonesque though, as it cleanly exposes the dict and property
interfaces.

Best, Andre.

--
Nothing is really difficult...