[SAGA-RG] OGF32, resource API

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Jun 28 02:33:12 CDT 2011

Dear SAGA group,

OGF32 is approaching, and I'd like us to prepare for the sessions
there.  So far the main topics seem to be

  - sync with DRMAAv.2
  - re-sync with OCCI
  - SAGA Resource API

The first two items are actually also very relevant for the resource
API discussion, so it seems like that is really the dominating topic.
We have been touching that item on and off over the last meetings, and
it seems we are now in a position where we can very well define the
target scope and structure of the resource API.

Please propose additional topics if you would like to see them on the
agenda!   (Steve, did I miss any item from your end?  I seem to remember
that you proposed another topic, but I can't seem to find it in my
mails...)

As a reminder, the resource API has the following goals:

  - expand/complement the existing saga::job API with dynamic resource
    discover/reservation/allocation/lifetime
  - cater to the reservation use cases submitted by XtreemOS and others
  - cater to the IaaS use cases which became increasingly important over
    the last years
  - sync with the evolution of the underlying job management APIs and
    infrastructures

Attached is an early draft of the resource API package - it would be nice
to get some early discussion points on this mailing list, prior to meeting
at OGF.  The next tasks would be

  - verify that the current approach is simple, intuitive and sensible
  - verify that the API addresses the target use cases
  - verify that the API matches the target resource infrastructures
  - iterate the syntactic and semantic details of the API.

Related to the API, I would like to point to the following three (sets of)
external documents:

  - OCCI specifications:
    - GFD.183, OCCI Core Model:
http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.183.pdf
    - GFD.184, OCCI Infrastrucure Extension:
http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.184.pdf
    - GFD.185, OCCI HTTP Rendering:
http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.185.pdf

  - DRMAAv.2 IDL draft (please use your GridForge login):
    - http://forge.ogf.org/svn/repos/drmaav2spec/drmaav2.idl
    - http://forge.ogf.org/svn/repos/drmaav2spec/drmaav2.pdf

  - last version of our pilot job API (aka BigJob aka Troy)
    - API class in Python:
https://svn.cct.lsu.edu/repos/saga-projects/applications/bigjob/branches/bigjob_overhaul/troy.py
    - usage example:
https://svn.cct.lsu.edu/repos/saga-projects/applications/bigjob/branches/bigjob_overhaul/examples/hostname-multi.py

FWIW, the resource API draft is in our svn repository, at
https://svn.cct.lsu.edu/repos/saga-ogf/trunk/documents/saga-package-resource
Let me know if you would like to have commit permissions for that repository!

Nothing is ever easy...