[SAGA-RG] Fwd: SAGA python bindings...

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Aug 16 05:58:21 CDT 2011

Hi Sylvain,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Sylvain Reynaud
<Sylvain.Reynaud at in2p3.fr> wrote:

>> On 8/8/11 11:20 , "Sylvain Reynaud"<Sylvain.Reynaud at in2p3.fr>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, JPySAGA implements the same python binding as JySAGA (the python
>>> wrapper on top JavaSAGA), but as far as I remember Julien also made a
>>> few compatibility tests with the wrapper that implements this binding on
>>> top of SAGA-C++.
>>> We were not able to get everything working because this wrapper was
>>> still under development, but we were at least able to implement the
>>> simple use-cases that we shown in our demo at Brussels last year, in
>>> order to show that SAGA-C++ and JSAGA could be used together in the same
>>> application.
>>
>> One of the issues in the JPySAGA is the usage of the "create" class
>> methods. Do you know the history of that?
>
> No, I don't know the history, but since JySAGA has been developed on top of
> JavaSAGA, I can imagine that it was influenced by the "create" methods of
> the Java binding.

I Cc'ed Steve Fisher, who kept better track of the python API evolution than
most I think - he might be able to shed light on this.

>>> Yes, we are still very interested in discussing that topic.
>>> I put in CC Julien (in holidays this week) because he has developed
>>> JPySAGA and he knows Python far better than I do.
>>
>> Good. As said, we are interested particularly in JSAGA because of gLite
>> support.
>> Our language choices are Java and Python, so I already proposed to assist
>> in sorting out the python differences between the various implementations.
>
> I know that Julien is also very concerned with having "pythonic" APIs, and I
> think he would be probably interested in contributing to select the most
> "pythonic" parts of each SAGA Python binding, in order to converge on a SAGA
> binding as "pythonic" as possible.
>
> Andre, do you think this would be the right way to synchronize the
> implementations, or is it already too late to do such changes in the binding
> (considering the existing SAGA-python users community) ?

Honestly, our group has mixed feelings.  Of course it would be nice if
the python bindings were unified, but we are also somewhat scared of
breaking code which is in heavy use already, since years.  It would have
been much better to sync the python bindings way earlier - but well,
that is just wishful thinking... ;-)

If we find reasonable technical procedures to mitigate the transition
pain for our end users, we would certainly be willing to migrate to
a common binding.  The biggest motivation for us would be if (a) our
users could seamlessly experiment with other SAGA implementations, and
(b) we could that way increase the acceptance of SAGA as a standardized
and widely available solution, and thus increase adoption in general.

My $0.02, I'd love to hear other people's opinion on that topic
(Ole?  Shantenu?).

BTW, in terms of group procedure: we already came to a consensus about
what python bindings are to be standardized as OGF specification.  From
this thread, and some offline discussions, it seems that the opinions
though vary on that topic.  We can certainly re-iterate the python bindings
on that level, but I would hate to see us spending another year on it.

Since most interested parties are in Lyon, I'll try to book another set
of sessions, so that we can come to a closure on the specification side,
and can focus on the technical aspects, if that's ok with everybody...

Best, Andre.

--
Nothing is ever easy...