[SAGA-RG] Call Notes

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Oct 21 16:35:42 CDT 2009

Below are the meeting notes for todays call.  We'd be happy to see
feedback, in particular to the python discussion.

Cheers, Andre.

  - When: Wed Oct 07, 2009, 22:00 CEST
  - Who : Steve, Hartmut, Ole, Shantenu, Andre
  - What:

    - update from OGF27
      - all participants have been at OGF, or have been updated<F2>

    - info about DRMAA/SAGA collaboration
      - no DRMAA callin - postponed

    - python bindings
      - no VU calling, thus only partially discusses
      - see Steve's mail: file io more native.
        - CCT groups agrees
        - VU answer awaited
      - attributes
        - have been discussed at OGF
        - CCT proposal:
          - continue to use dict interface, but do not expose as
            class attribs
          - saga objects which implement attrib interface would
            thus implement the python dictionary interface, but
            could have a remote implementation behind it
          - set_attribute()/get_attribute() is required for async
            ops though

    - advert extension
      - flags are missing on short C'tor
      - TTL was discussed, and agreed that it MUST NOT impose
        anything on the implementation. Default ttl should be
        infinite (-1).
      - it has been discussed if TTL should be exposed as attribute.
        After some discussion, it seems that set_ttl and get_ttl
        seems fine after all.
      - the advert class should not have a second c'tor, in sync
        with other SAGA packages.

      - the doc will be revised and put into last call on mailing
        list.

Quoting [Andre Merzky] (Oct 21 2009):