[SAGA-RG] missing(?) method reporting last modification time

Sylvain Reynaud Sylvain.Reynaud at in2p3.fr
Thu Jun 4 13:36:03 CDT 2009

Here is my proposal for inclusion in a "fixed" SAGA standard.

SAGA Job Management:
===================
* CPUArchitecture and OperatingSystemType should be scalar (instead of
vector) attributes for consistency with JSDL specification.

* page 166 says: "Attributes marked as 'not supported by JSDL' might
disappear in future versions of the SAGA API".
  - Queue: this attribute makes the job description dependent on the
targeted
    execution site, this information should be put in the URL instead.
  - JobStartTime and JobContact: IMHO, these attributes are not in the 80%
    of the 80/20 rule, they are not supported by most middlewares, and they
    can be implemented by the user application.
  - Interactive: although this attribute may not be in the 80% of the
80/20 rule,
    I think it is usefull and should be kept.

* job are missing a state "QUEUED" in order to enable timeout on jobs
queued for a long time, synchronization with job start, or just because
many users want to know if their jobs are running or queued. This can
not be done with the job.state_detail attribute because its content is
not uniform. As it was said at OGF23, some job services don't have any
queue, but I think this is not the usual case.

SAGA Name Spaces:
================
* add a flag to disable checking existence of entry in constructor and
open methods, because the cost for this check is not negligible with
some protocols (then subsequent method calls on this object may throw an
IncorrectState exception
if the entry does not exist).

SAGA Session:
============
* An exception should be thrown when several contexts of the session can
be used for a specific method call. Else, some files may be created with
unexpected owner, some jobs may fail at the end of execution because of
unexpected permissions, some accounts may be locked because of too many
failed connection attempts.

* AFAIK, existing SAGA implementations support many technologies and may
be used with several grids. Default session is very convenient, but it
is not usable when several grids can be accessed, because a single
default session for all is not enough. Argument of session constructor
could be an identifier (e.g. a grid identifier) instead of a boolean.