[SAGA-RG] Context and Session thoughts

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Feb 25 08:13:53 CST 2009

Quoting [Ceriel Jacobs] (Feb 25 2009):

> >  saga::context c ("globus");
> >
> >  c.set_defaults ();
> >
> >  // get info about default globus proxy
> >  std::cout << c.get_attribute ("LifeTime");
> >  std::cout << c.get_attribute ("UserID");
> >  std::cout << c.get_attribute ("VO");
> >
> >without set_defaults, it is totally undefined when these
> >attributes are available.
>
> After calling the constructor? As would be the case for
> the SAGA 1.0 specs?

As said: calling set_defaults in the constructor cannot
possibly stay in the spec: that breaks in those cases where
set_defaults would throw.  If the c'tor then throws for a
given type, you can't create any context of that type _at_
_all_.

> >One can very likely achieve a consistent API w/o
> >set_defaults, by defining a couple of semantic changes
> >which address the issues above explicitely, no doubt.  I
> >just don't think (a) that this is justified, and (b) that
> >this would really simplify matters.
>
> But I think the CURRENT changes with respect to SAGA 1.0
> are much bigger.

Hmm, you mean the ones we have in the errata I assume?  Yes,
some of them are bigger.  However, they are there to fix
errors.  Any item in particular you are unhappy with?

I'll commit the latest state of the errata file to CVS in a
minute...

> O well, I think I have vented my opinion enough for now

Hmm, would you mind if we discuss that on the phone?  I
agree that we are running in circles somehow, but I would
like to get the discussion to a conclusion one way or the
other, instead of leaving it open...  Can I call you
somewhere?

Thanks, Andre.

--
Nothing is ever easy.