[SAGA-RG] Some more comments on the SAGA specs.

Ceriel Jacobs ceriel at cs.vu.nl
Thu Dec 17 08:56:51 CST 2009

Hi,

I have some more remarks/questions about the new Saga specifications,
this time about the task package. Here they are, in random order:

Bugs:

task.wait() in the details does not specify a default value for the timeout.

PreCond on task.cancel(): sais that task is in 'Running' state, but the Notes
say that it can also be in a final state, in which case the cancel has no
effect.

Why does task_container.remove() return the removed task? It is already
specified as parameter.

PostCond on task_container.run(): sais that all tasks in the container are
in 'Running' state, but I guess the only thing you can be sure of is that the
state is not 'New', like with task.run().

PostCond on task_container.cancel(): sais that if no timeout occurs all tasks
in the container are in 'Canceled' state. But the tasks can be in another final
state as well.

Debatable issues:

task_container: what is the difference between list_tasks() and get_tasks()?
list_tasks() originally returned the cookies. Should it now return a list
of object ids? Or should the method just be removed alltogether?

I am not sure that it is a good idea to have get_result() call rethrow().
How do I now make a distinction between an exception coming from the get_result()
call itself and an exception from the task? I guess that in the exception
handler I can check the state of the task, but that does not give you a
definite answer: if the state is "FAILED", the exception can still come
from get_result() itself, can it not? Why not leave it to the user
to call rethrow() if he/she wants, and as it was before?

Cheers,		Ceriel