[SAGA-RG] Fwd (ceriel at cs.vu.nl): [saga-cvs] "SAGA-RG/SAGA-Bindings/Java/OGF/src/org/ogf/saga/file FileFactory.java"

Ceriel Jacobs ceriel at cs.vu.nl
Fri Jan 25 04:51:54 CST 2008

Thilo Kielmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I suggest to do the following:
>
> - add the error conditions pointed out by Ceriel as throwing "BadParameter"
>   in the errata doc.
>
> - putting the offset from iovec to buffer can not be done in the current SAGA
>   Core 1.0. We could only do that in a final recommendation, or else in a SAGA
>   Core 2.0.
>
>   However, I am wondering if we could do this in the Java language binding.
>   After all, this would be a pure extension to the language-independent spec.
>   (You can still use the offset in the iovec, but in Java also in the buffer.)
>   That would be along the lines of other bindings to the Java language, like
>   adding i/o streams next to random file i/o. If Java buffers have an offset,
>   shouldn't then SAGA's language binding also have this? Wouldn't this just
>   be the "natural" thing???

I think the "natural" thing in Java would be to have an explicit
"offset" parameter in the write() and read() method.
That would make them look the most like the write and read from
[In|Out]putStream.

I could, of course, just add write and read versions with an offset
to the methods that are already there, in the Java bindings.
Having those would also allow for simple implementations of
readv()/writev().

Ceriel