[SAGA-RG] Service Discovery spec updated at last ...

Steve Fisher dr.s.m.fisher at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 10:02:05 CST 2008

>> I would like to be consistent - however the url here is not a string
>> but a SAGA URL object - so it cannot have a default value of "".
>
> Basically, it means that the URL would be created by giving
> an empty string to the URL's constructor.
>
> Thus
>
>  object (saga::url u = "");
>
> is a short form for
>
>  object (saga::url u = saga::url (""));
>

>> Whatever syntax is appropriate for an optional session parameter is
>> also good for an optional url parameter.
>
> Well, we describe the session parameter default explicitely
> in section 3.5.2 in the Core spec, but we do not describe it
> for other parameter types anywhere, in particular not for
> URL.

This discoverer class should have has the same constructor as the
job_service. Where the spec says:

CONSTRUCTOR (in session s,
in url rm = "",
out job_service obj);

However the Java interface has got 3 "constructors" in the job factory
with arguments:

(session, url)
(session)
()

I want the Java API to be like this but, for convenience,  with the addition of:

(url)

I am happy to express this in the spec with a single constructor with
2 optional arguments - so our *only* concern is the precise notation.
I don't want to rely upon people having read section 3.5.2 of the main
spec to appreciate that session parameters are always optional and I
don't like a notation which implies using a url from the default
constructor being used to represent a default url.

> In the attached version, I tried to address the things we
> agreed upon, and changed the service types/names table as
> proposed.  Could you give it another pass, please?
> I left the Constructors untouched for now, until we agreed
> on something, ok?

I will read

> Also, there is a question from me at the bottom of page 5:
>
>  "Note: Why not TimeOut, AuthorizationFailed, etc??"
>
> Do you have a opinion here?

I will take a look

Steve