[SAGA-RG] Final call: task model...

'Andre Merzky' andre at merzky.net
Tue Sep 18 14:27:59 CDT 2007

Hi,

Quoting [Ceriel Jacobs] (Sep 18 2007):

> Quoting [Hartmut Kaiser]:
> >
> > Leaves us with the question if this is implementable in other languages as
> > well, such as C, FORTRAN or scripting languages. I'm not sure if that's
> > possible. Especially scripting languages often rely on runtime polymorphism,
> > not compile time polymorphism. Wouldn't it be better to leave the templated
> > interface as an implementation detail and just to require to store the
> > result inside the task? As I said - I'm not sure.
>
> I agree with this. It is an implementation detail. It is up to the
> implementation to provide a mechanism for obtaining the result from the task,
> and give an exception if this is attempted while the task is not finished yet.
>
> If the specification language used for SAGA allows for templates,
> I would suggest to use them, but to specify that an implementation is allowed
> to use runtime polymorphism instead.

Yep, I agree, too - sorry for not beeing precise (i.e.
language agnostic) enough.  Thats certainly a language
binding issue - important is to store the result in the
task, and to be able to retrieve it after the task finishes.

BTW, we still have a number of calls which have either
additional out, or inout, parameters.  For those, the
described mechanism would not apply.

Do you see that as a problem?  If yes, the only (?) solution
would be to add more getters for the other out/inout
parameters as well.

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however,
a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.