[SAGA-RG] OGF20 sessions - last call

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Mar 13 05:11:20 CDT 2007

Hi folx,

thanks for the feedback about sessions at OGF20, and sorry
for the late follow-up...

The draft session agendas below should cover the topics
mentioned on the list, and also those topics we have to
cover in respect to our document deadlines.

We should have our Core API document back in the pipeline by
then, so we won't discuss much about it.  However, there are
a number of biggish stumbling blocks open in the core, so in
case we don't get that off the table by OGF20, we need to
dedicate session time to them.  Hence I introduce a half
session as an emergency placeholder there, which we could
re-dedicate as needed.

In general, it is somewhat difficult to plan the sessions
exactly: there are so many things/docs in flux, and a number
of ongoing activities, that it is difficult to estimate in
what state things will be by OGF20.  Given the tight time
constraints in Manchester, we should probably not ask for
more sessions than the ones listed below, but we might
consider to plan for additional time to spend on hot topics
on Thursday.  We'll cretainly find some space, and be it a
nice british pub somewhere... ;-)

1) "SAGA Overview"
   - scheduled on Wednesday
   - to target both OGF and EGEE crowd
   - organized and led by Thilo, pure outreach session
   - material contribution welcome (implementations!)

2) WG: 90 min, SAGA Core, Language Bindings
   - discuss open issues in the SAGA Core API, if any
   - discuss the SAGA Java Language bindings (that work is
     slowly starting now, and there is potential for lots of
     discussions... ;-)
   - JSR?

3) RG: SAGA promotion plans, uptake, outreach
   - session is not supposed to DO these things, but to plan
     and coordinate
   - we should invide the non-standards councils
   - common repository for publications, tutorials,
     examples, ...?
   - work on users guide
   - vendor adoption
   - SAGA versus CoG / programming models

4) WG: SAGA extensions
   - the usual suspects: message bus API (yes, there is a
     renaming proposal! :-), service discovery, resource
     discovery, CPR
   - some of the respective docs should be close to publish
     comment by then
   - CPR: we are in the process fo refacturing the CPR
     documents - they need some polish, and should be pushed
     back into the pipeline, too.  Lets polish that at
     OGF20.

Thanks, Andre.