[SAGA-RG] SAGA Message API Extension

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 16 15:59:42 CST 2007

Hi Andre,
In Chapter 2, the paragraphs explaining the message transfer
requirements are a bit confusing.
	1) it says it supports multicast (which is inherently unreliable).
I'm sure you mean to say a "message bus" (sort of like the Linux DBus
concept), which would not specifically call out a particular network
standard (multicast is more specific than a "message bus").
	2) It says the message must be received completely and correctly, or
not at all.  This leaves some aspects of the reliability uncertain.
For instance
		a) does this mean it must guarantee delivery of a message?  Or only
that a delivered message does not contain errors?
		b) what about if the message arrives more than once? (eg. redundant
copies of messages can occur in practice for a number of unreliable
or semi-reliable messaging protocols).
		c) It says this document will not address things at a protocol
level, but I think these issues are semantic and therefore must be
addressed by the API.
		d) I think there are a number of attributes that users should be
able to supply or query when opening a message service connnection.
Like the JMS (Java Message Service), we should be able to specify
whether this is a point-to-point (message queue) or a publish-
subscribe (message bus) like interface.  The API should not require
any work to support both since point-to-point is a sub-category of
the message-bus, but it should be an attribute of the message
interface that a user can force/specify in the opening of the
connection.  Another thing to support is specification or query of
the message service reliability (something that deserves at least a
subsection to define.  That is, the document should define classes of
reliability (just as done with other XML-based messaging APIs that
even define intermediate cases for unreliable messaging that
guarantee message arrival, but do not ensure that duplicate messages
will not arrive).  The API should allow a user to specify these
semantic attributes and will not allow a connection to be built if
the underlying protocol for the message connection cannot meet those
attributes.

-john