[SAGA-RG] Fwd (andre at merzky.net): Re: JSDL - SAGA

Pascal Kleijer k-pasukaru at ap.jp.nec.com
Sun Feb 18 20:50:56 CST 2007

Dear all,

I have given me the week-end to get some reflection on the problem. As
mentioned it is not a trivial issue. If things goes out of hand, we
might as well rename the project CAGA of not go gaga :P

The necessity to support JSDL 1.0.x is a necessity, since it is an OFG
standard. I do not think JSDL 1.0 is overly complex right now. The Job
Description should be made such that passing from one form to another is
automatic (JD -> JSDL). The support of a property key for JSDL isn't
bad; if used, all other properties can be potentially ignored. The JD
would not have to parse it. The current specification is simple enough
to not violate the "S" rule of SAGA.

The problem we have is with all the up coming extensions. In my case, I
clearly violated the SAGA API rules in order to make the system run with
NAREGI. I tweaked the problem to solve my case. In the 80/20 rule, it
probably means that the SAGA job submission won't be usable. I will have
to write code that does not deal with SAGA and goes directly to the
underwear. Now I am speaking as a Grid "expert" and not as a Grid newbie
(which is the SAGA user base). If you want to use complex Grid
programming and do complex things, SAGA might not be the right solution.

The proposal made by Dan is not elegant in my opinion because it will
force developer to know the underlying technology they want to use; it
will also clutter the JD. The proposal from Thilo might work for OO
languages because you can hide a lot behind patterns, but it won't mean
a specific implementation will support such scheme.

The passing through solution seems to be mildly seen by the some GAT
people here. I would say no, if the error handling is explicit enough to
return a message telling that this JSDL cannot be interpreted by the
underlying system. I will not see this as a bad solution either.

--

Best regards,
Pascal Kleijer

   HPC Marketing Promotion Division, NEC Corporation
   1-10, Nisshin-cho, Fuchu, Tokyo, 183-8501, Japan.
   Tel: +81-(0)42/333.6389       Fax: +81-(0)42/333.6382