[SAGA-RG] URLs and wildcards

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Mon Dec 3 16:48:39 CST 2007

Quoting [Ceriel Jacobs] (Dec 03 2007):

> > B: why the limitation to relative path names?
>
> Not really needed, indeed, but conceptually, wildcard expansion operates
> on a directory, and we are talking about methods on directories here.

Sorry for being thick: yes, they operate on a directory, but
how does that imply relative paths?  E.g., the following
calls expand on the contents of a single directory, but
would be impossible with relative paths:

  rm /tmp/*
  cp /tmp/*/*.jpg /home/user/images/tmp/

> >> With B, the user can directly pass the wildcard string
> >> to, e.g., copy.  The "trick" is that the string is
> >> restricted in its expressiveness, namely to pathnames
> >> relative to the CWD.
> >
> > For C speaks that '*' is, probably, the most commonly
> > used wildcard - so using that in the standard URL calls
> > would help a lot.  As for the other wildcards, a detour
> > via expand does not sound too bad anymore...
>
> I can live with C :-) although it is a bit of an ad-hoc
> solution.  I like B a bit better, because it is more
> explicit about which methods accept wildcards.

Good points.

Thanks, Andre.

--
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however,
a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.