[SAGA-RG] blocking/nonblocking I/O on files?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Aug 29 13:19:43 CDT 2007

Hi,

Ole and Hartmut raised the point that the attribute
interface on files is actaully useless.

Formerly, we had a number of attributes on files defined -
in the latest version of the spec, only one remaines:
'Blocking'.  That atgtribute however does not make much
sense, as we have explicit versions for sync and async file
I/O.

Yes, yes, sync/async and blocking/non-blocking is not
exactly the same, but (a) the difference is small for our
use cases AFAICS (thats different for streams), and (b) the
spec does not define the behaviour for blocking/non-blocking
files anyway.

So the proposal is to remove that attribute, and the
attribute interface on files altogether.

Any comments?

Thanks, Andre.

--
"XML is like violence: if it does not help, use more."