[saga-rg] Context inaccuracy

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Mon May 8 06:56:29 CDT 2006

Hi,

Quoting [Stephen M Pickles] (May 07 2006):

> X509 proxy certificates are described by RFC 3820,
> which has the status of proposed standard.
>
> 3820 Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Proxy Certificate
>      Profile. S. Tuecke, V. Welch, D. Engert, L. Pearlman, M. Thompson.
>      June 2004. (Format: TXT=86374 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
>
> "standard X509 certificates" are described by RFC 3280,
> which has the same status.
>
> 3280 Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and
>      Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile. R. Housley, W. Polk, W.
>      Ford, D. Solo. April 2002. (Format: TXT=295556 bytes) (Obsoletes
>      RFC2459) (Updated by RFC4325) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
>
> So I don't agree that proxies aren't standard.
>
> However, I do agree that X509 isn't a good label for a security
> context based on Globus certificates. There are other X509-based
> security models, e.g. the one employed by UNICORE.

I also think that GSI (or even GlobusCert) is a more
appropriate name - even if X509 was less general in
definition and usage.

> Stephen
>
> PS Do I have to resort to CVS to get the current draft of the
> strawman?

The other way is to ask nicely on this list :-D
I attach the current version.  It is in editing, and parts
are currently in tex, others in plain text.  Sorry for that.

In general though: yes, CVS is the preferred method.

Cheers, Andre.