[saga-rg] Comments on the job API (revision 1.4)

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Mar 7 06:54:55 CST 2006

Hi Graeme,

Quoting [Graeme Pound] (Mar 07 2006):

> I am afraid that I find this a little bizarre.
>
> As I understand it; job_service.get_self() returns a representation of
> the _local_ client application which has instantiated the job_service
> object (is that correct?). This would allow the client application to
> perform operations upon itself via the 'job' interface.

Exactly! :-)

We call those applications to be 'Grid aware', but I am not
sure if that is a good term.  However, the app 'knows' it is
running in a Grid, and can actively perform actions, also on
itself.   For example it can migrate itself, if there is
need to do so (think agents).  Also, it can spawn copies of
itself, to perform some partial analysis (it gets the job
object for self, it gets the job description from that, and
resubmits that description with some changed parameters:
ergo the app gets cloned).

I think taht the concept opens a range of very dynamic
scenarios...

> This raises several questions (how and why), but I am unsure if my
> understanding is correct.

What issues does it raise?  :-)