Fwd (andre at merzky.net): Re: [saga-rg] context problem

Thilo Kielmann kielmann at cs.vu.nl
Sat Jul 15 06:02:21 CDT 2006

> > From: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
> > To: Thilo Kielmann <kielmann at cs.vu.nl>
> > Cc: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
> > Subject: Re: [saga-rg] context problem

[[ flipping the order of Andre's remarks ]]

> > Making a copy of the context does not help.  The problem, as
> > said, is that the 'remove_context' can get called before or
> > while that context is used, and that needs to have a well
> > defined semantic in the (lang independent) spec.
> >
> > Having it a user level error is an option.  Well, not really
> > an error, but what you say (I think) is that the later
> > operations on that object cannot use the Globus context -
> > right?

Right, we agree. If there are more/other contexts that might still be OK.
IMHO, if the programmer is removing a context that is still needed, that is
a mistake that might lead to an error.

> > The problem is not really C++ here I think.  The code
> > snippet below is semantically challenging in any
> > language, and we need to define that semantic in the spec.
> >
> > The implementation in C++ is another issue, and simple :-)

The "problem" was that your mail was intertwining both aspects.
Sure, the can be a simple setup in the C++ bindings, once the SAGA semantics
are clear...

Cheers,

Thilo
--