[saga-rg] BOUNCE saga-rg at ggf.org: Non-member submission from ["Rosa M. Badia" <rosab at ac.upc.edu>] (fwd)

Shantenu Jha s.jha at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 11:35:10 CST 2006

Bounced message from Rosa below. Interesting perspective.

Shantenu

PS: My own $0.02 coming soon....

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:23:11 +0100
From: "Rosa M. Badia" <rosab at ac.upc.edu>
To: Craig Lee <craig at rushg.aero.org>
Cc: Simple API for Grid Applications WG <saga-rg at ggf.org>
Subject: Re: [saga-rg] Fwd (s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk): Re: SAGA - WG?

Last November I acted as reviewer in a project, and they stated that they
have not taken into account SAGA because it is a RG and there was very few
(or no?) industry involved. They also claimed that as RG the results were
coming to slowly.

Becoming a WG can of course attract users from projects and industry, I
do not know if it will attract more effort at the implementation level too.

Just to give a use-case :-)

Best regards,

Rosa

Craig Lee wrote:

> All,
>
> First of all, allow me to say that this is a good problem to have.
> The fact that the GFSG is considering whether SAGA should
> be one WG or an umbrella RG for multiple WGs means that
> people view it as important.
>
> My personal opinion is that the SAGA-RG could continue as
> this umbrella organization, but to follow through with the
> original SAGA intent, an initial WG should be formed that is
> focused on _S_AGA.  To emphasize the _simple_ in
> SAGA I keep coming back to the analogy of "the six calls
> in MPI".  Whether the current SAGA API is simple enough
> is separate discussion.  In any case, the API should be
> (a) minimally complete, (b) easy for implementers to implement
> and (c) easy for new grid users to use.
>
> As long as the umbrella SAGA-RG persists, it can consider
> issues of enhancing the API in various functional areas,
> e.g., data movement, and also establishing a common
> look-and-feel across them all.  WGs could be spun-off
> as necessary.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> --Craig
>
> At 10:13 AM 1/24/2006, Andre Merzky wrote:
>
>> Dear group,
>>
>> as you know, we are currently in transition from a GGF
>> Research Group to a GGF Working Group, which will enable
>> us to submit documents into the standardization track.
>> The last action from our side was to submit the proposed
>> WG charter to our Area Directors (Steven and Dieter), and
>> wait for the last step in the process, the GFSG approval of
>> that charter.
>>
>> Below you find the answer we got from the GFSG.  I know
>> people will have strong opinions about that, both positive
>> and negative (well, certainly I do anyway :-P ), so we would
>> like to discuss the GFSG answer on this list.  It would be
>> favourable to come to a group internal conclusion, and a
>> solid opinion, about the groups future before GGF16 - that
>> means within the next two weeks.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>   your friendly group chairs ;-)
>>

>> ----- Forwarded message from Steven Newhouse <s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk>
>> -----
>>
>> > Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:38:45 +0000
>> > From: Steven Newhouse <s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk>
>> > To: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>, Shantenu Jha <s.jha at ucl.ac.uk>,
>> >       Tom Goodale <goodale at cct.lsu.edu>
>> > CC: Dieter Kranzlmueller <dk at gup.jku.at>
>> > Subject: Re: SAGA - WG?
>> >
>> > Dear Andre, Shantenu & Tom,
>> >
>> > At the GFSG meeting last week, there was a general discussion as to
>> how
>> > GFSG should/could steer the standards areas to increase the impact of
>> > GGF. One of the discussions related to the Applications area and
>> how we
>> > (as Area Directors) could help to structure the activity to align work
>> > with activities in the Architecture (i.e. OGSA) area.
>> >
>> > There was considerable interest from the rest of the GFSG in the SAGA
> [...]

                                Rosa M. Badia
                                Dept. Computer Architecture
                                Universitat Politecnica Catalunya
                                Campus Nord - Modul D6