[saga-rg] Fwd (s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk): Re: SAGA - WG?

Tom Goodale goodale at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Jan 25 10:36:40 CST 2006

Hi,

Although I was originally opposed to the idea of lots of groups, the
increasing number of proposed subsystems for the API has persuaded me that
keeping the SAGA-RG and spawning a set of WGs would be a sensible idea
after all.  So to be concrete, I'd like to keep the current SAGA-RG, spawn
one WG for the core areas originally discussed in the strawman design team
- files, logical files, jobs and streams - and spawn additional WGs as
ideas for those subsystems become mature enough.

We would need to put some effort into defining the precise relationship
between the RG and the WGs.  As I see it, the RG should be responsible for
the overall look and feel, and for initial work on the subsystems;  when a
WG is spawned it develops concrete API documents which would need to be
approved, in some manner, by the RG - or would the normal GGF document
comment period be enough ?

Cheers,

Tom