[saga-rg] JobService.submitJob() query

Steven Newhouse s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 02:00:34 CST 2006

> Well, then we have the ability to specify a resource manager
> contact for run_job, and a target resource on job_submit.
> But no combination seems possible.

I would go for the resource manager as the thing being specified. The
notion of specifying a host seems strange with large clusters & resource
brokers. If the underlying middleware exposes each underlying host as an
execution target... then effectively each host has its own 'resource
manager' capability.

> The host in run_job would then specify the target
> resource ("" for 'any resource' I guess).

On its own I'd consider this an invalid argument. If there are
additional attributes being provided to qualify resource selection...
maybe OK. But the "" I would see as input to a resource broker which
would select a resource manager as the execution target. Not a
capability embedded into the current SAGA layer. My 2p.

Steven
Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute-UK (OMII-UK)
c/o Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK