[saga-rg] exceptions...

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sun Feb 19 12:10:02 CST 2006

Hi Folx,

I stumbled over the exceptions in the spec again.  Tried to
find what we decided on in respect to exception classes, but
could not find a definite statement in the mailing list
archive nor in the issue list or meeting note.

So I discussed with hartmut again - well, turned out his
memory is a bad as mine ;-)

What we did remember (or though to) is:

  - if an exception is fatal or not depends on the use case
    ("Can't suspend job" - fatal or not?)

  - a non-fatal backend exception could be recovered from by
    the saga implementation, and would hence not reach the
    application - so we don't need it.  If we can't recover,
    it might well be fatal.

  - obviously bad things like 'not enough memory' don't need
    to be put into saga exceptions - have nothing to do with
    saga semantics.

So, I/we _think_ the agreement was to have only one simple
saga::exception class which gets thrown whenever something
happens which violates the semantic contract of a saga call.

If that can be recovered from or not is up to the
application.

If there are no comments to the contrary within a week, and
if nobody has better search or meeting notes, I'll update
the spec accordingly.