[saga-rg] GGF16 SAGA Session 2 meeting notes

Shantenu Jha s.jha at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 05:50:00 CST 2006

GGF16 (Athens), Tue 14 Feb, SAGA Session #2,

http://wiki.cct.lsu.edu/saga/space/GGF16+Meeting+Notes

tackling the "Top 10" critical items on the issue list.
The "Top 10" items were selected primarily by Andre
in consultation with Hartmut and Shantenu.

Further detailed responses/discussion to the "issues" can be found on
the "issue list" document from the SAGA CVS repository.

  - issue 25]

    Do we need 'stat'?

    Why not just use unix/posix stipulations?
    AM: What is group in globus?

    Chris: Why not ACL?
	   SHOULD be some abstract data type?

   Q:   Do we have a notion of "permanent VO"

   Asked differnently, apart from security, is there a need

   Defer it from the saga-core spec(?!) and leave it till there
   is a grid file system

  *** Hartmut to be reminded to generate a good use case for
  logical Files ***

 - Issue number 63:
   option 1: handling task...?
   option 2: casting?
   option 3: user has to maintain the list
   option 4: add templates?!

  Add something which makes it easier for the user

  Need to think about inspection (independently)

  Q (Hartmut): Do we have a common base class?
  No.

 - Issue 71:
   Should we include resource decovery? service discovery?

   No.

 - Issue 78:
   enums and scoping: clashes in inheritance
   **** This is not a SAGA issue.

-  Issue 79:
   Should jobs implement the task interface?

   Have a job as it was; make interface more equal
   Have task  inherit job interface

 -   Yes, and its useful for some of the use cases received.

 - Issue 86:
   Job info object?

  Keep in mind that  someday SAGA may be an inteface for OGSA?
  Job status as a different class

  Attributes let you to extend attrbute without modifying the interface

  Keep getters and setters to language bindgs, although one can
  replace the other....

 -  issue 99:
   Should package names be reflected in the API
   or be leaft for language binding discussion(s)

  See "issue list" for discussion

- Issue 115:
   Review monitoring
   Should callbacks have an optional ttl (wait like)

   There is an application level trivial and simple solution
   e.g. timer -- supported by every OS
   Hence refrain from introducing at the API level..