[saga-rg] job states...

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Fri Feb 10 15:41:18 CST 2006

On 4/2/06 11:18, "Andre Merzky" <andre at merzky.net> wrote:

Ok ... I'll try to answer these, at least from my viewpoint.

> I think that diagram is wrong, isn't it?  Well, here are my
> questions:
>
>   - if we submit a job, its immediately Queued - is that
>     right?  Should it be pending before (e.g. as long as the
>     queuing request travels the middleware layers)?

To me, Queued is the same as Pending. Pending is probably a better word for
this. Can't remember where the Queued name came from, as LSF uses PEND.

>   - can the hold and suspend states reached only from
>     'Running', or from elsewhere as well?

You can only go into a Hold state from Pending, I think, or directly into
Hold on submission.

>   - What is the difference between 'Hold' and 'Suspend'?

A Hold state tells the scheduler/broker not to consider this job for
scheduling/dispatch until the hold is explicitly released.

>   - Are there signals defined (apart from KILL) which shange
>     the job state?  I guess that is not as simple as saying
>     SUSP does suspend - that state is probably defined by
>     the scheduler, not by the OS...

Right ... this is implementation dependent on the mechanism used to suspend
a job (might be a signal, might be some other mechanism). What is important
is that there is an operation to initiate the state transition.

>   - What is the use case for distinguishing between UserHold
>     and SystemHold, or between UserSuspend and
>     SystemSuspend?

If I preempt workload, the system will put it into a SystemSuspend state
that a user cannot cause a switch out of, otherwise a system may become
oversubscribed due to the preempted and preempting jobs running at the same
time. A UserSuspend can be entered and exited by the user, and is often used
to hold processing to check progress, etc.

By the way ... I believe that the state diagram should at least be a subset
of the BES state diagram ... we should adopt the same names.

-- Chris