[saga-rg] SAGA-CORE-WG charter revision 2

Steven Newhouse s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 11:38:24 CST 2006

> Yes, its an API specification.

>> Can an abstract API in SIDL be a recommendation ?

I would say not. We had this discussion in OGSA-WG with the BES (and
ByteIO) work. A SIDL is not a normative description of the interface,
unless there is defined mechanism for mapping from SIDL to a language
binding. The conversation we had on the telecon indicated that SAGA-RG
would not be producing a defined mapping mechanism, hence the need for
the language bindings to be the bit that is standardised.

Having a standards track SIDL and standards track binding seems an overkill.

Steven
Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute-UK (OMII-UK)
c/o Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK