[saga-rg] tasks and jobs...

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sat Feb 4 15:56:58 CST 2006

Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Feb 04 2006):

> > Well, not really I think - as tasks _are_ our asynchroneous
> > operations.
>
> No, they are not. We have:
>
> - synchronous operation
> - asynchronous operation   ;  starts immediately
> - task creating operation  ;  needs explicit start

Both of the latter calls return a task handle (or call it
async op handle), that why, in SAGA, they are esentially the
same.

> My suggestion is to remove the tasks, [...]
> And do async operations by async operations.

The task only has run, cancel and wait, apart from state
inspection.  Cancel and wait are also needed by the async
version.  So you suggest to get rid of run?  Well, we had
that discussion.   Also,

> and put everything useful from the
> task interface into the job interface.

Well, our point is really that everythin usful from task
should go into the job interface (job should implement
task).

So, maybe you are actually in violent agreement, kind of?
:-)  Somwhoe I doubt it :-P

Still somewhat confused,

  Andre.