[saga-rg] tasks and jobs...

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sat Feb 4 15:39:08 CST 2006

Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Feb 04 2006):
> Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:29:41 +0100
> From: Thilo Kielmann <kielmann at cs.vu.nl>
> To: saga-rg at ggf.org
> Subject: Re: [saga-rg] tasks and jobs...
>
> > Wouldn't it be useful to have jobs implementing the task
> > interface?
>
> Certainly, no.
> Jobs and Tasks are two different things, and they are this on purpose.

Hmm, I am getting confused, as you suggest below to unify
them...

> However, Tasks always have been the mechanism for asynchronous operation,
> which is kind-of obsoleted by having asynchronous ops directly.

Well, not really I think - as tasks _are_ our asynchroneous
operations.

 synchroneous seek:

   off_t new_pos = file.seek (pos, whence);  // 1

 asynchroneous seek:

   saga::task t2 = file.seek <async> (pos, whence, &newpos); // 2
   saga::task t3 = file.seek <task>  (pos, whence, &newpos); // 3

(Difference between 2 and 3 is only that task is pending (2)
 or running (3) )

> If you want to work on the "S" of SAGA: why not unify both Tasks and Jobs
> into a better "Job" notion, and do local asynchronous operations via
> async, local calls?

I seem to misunderstand you, as I think that is what we do
right now...  isn't it?

And we don't want to replace tasks with jobs, as that is
pure overkill (migrate a async call?  having pre-execution
state? etc...) - so that is probably not what you mean
either?

Cheers, Andre.