[saga-rg] Fwd (N.ChueHong at epcc.ed.ac.uk): [byteio-wg] GGF ByteIO Specifications - please comment!

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Feb 3 09:53:36 CST 2006

For your interest, some ByteIO docs made it into the public
comment period.  Please consider these docs as useful input
to the SAGA work...

Also, the ByteIO group would surely welcome any feedback
(also positive feedback is useful at that stage).

Cheers, Andre.

----- Forwarded message from neil p chue hong <N.ChueHong at epcc.ed.ac.uk> -----

> From: neil p chue hong <N.ChueHong at epcc.ed.ac.uk>
> To: byteio-wg at ggf.org
> Cc: data-wg at gridforum.org
> Subject: [byteio-wg] GGF ByteIO Specifications - please comment!
> Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:47:47 -0000
>

> The GGF ByteIO WG provides a set of specifications to provide an interface
> for reading and writing sequences of bytes in a POSIX like way. It aims to
> be a lowest common denominator specification for transferring bytes. Within
> the specification it also proposes a scheme for describing data transfer
> mechanisms.
>
> These specifications have now completed their initial GFSG Review, and have
> just entered their public comment period.
>
> We would encourage people to submit:
>
> 1. Technical comments on any aspects of the specifications, in terms of
> their scope, clarity and correctness.
>
> 2. Comments from application developers on the suitability of the
> specifications for their use cases.
>
> 3. Comments from organisations that may be interested in implementing the
> specifications, for evaluation, for use for a specific purpose, or as part
> of a wider platform.
>
> 4. Comments from other groups who are interested in using ByteIO (or parts
> of ByteIO, e.g. the data transfer identification scheme) as a basis for
> other specifications.
>

> Comments can be made via the following links (where you can also get copies
> of the relevant documents)
>
> ByteIO specification
>
>  	http://forge.gridforum.org/tracker/index.php?aid=1692
>
> ByteIO OGSA WSRF Basic Profile Rendering 1.0 Specification
>
>  	http://forge.gridforum.org/tracker/index.php?aid=1693
>

> Although detailed comments are preferred, even top level comments expressing
> approval or disapproval with the specification are useful.
>
> We currently have three implementations in progress, however any offers for
> further implementations or implementation use cases are again, gratefully
> received.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mark Morgan
> Neil Chue Hong
> OGSA ByteIO co-chairs

----- End forwarded message -----

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |