[saga-rg] "POSIX consistency"

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Aug 10 07:41:33 CDT 2006

Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Aug 10 2006):

> I have just completed the reorganization of the "general design considerations"
> section.
>
> This is a re-arrangement for the purpose of better presentation and
> understanding. I hope I did not change any content.
>
> I have guessed some motivation why error conditions and callbacks should
> be excluded from deep object copies. Maybe someone can check?

I think we discussed that, shortly at least?  Hmm, maybe my
memory failing.  Thats likely :-P

Callbacks have a simple mechanism to ensure they get only
called once: if they return 'False' they get removed from
the metric.  Copying callbacks would void that policy, and
would require the application to track callback instances
carefully.

Error conditions: The motivation was to start a new object
instance with a clean record.

I'll add some words in that sense.

> Then, I have flagged the text about "POSIX consistency" with a FIXME.
> As it stands, I simply do not understand what this is about.
> What kind of operations (and their consistency) is meant with this???

The consistency model holds for all operations.  Yes, we
should quote the POSIX spec - however, I could not find an
explicit description of the consistency model, yet.  Can
anybody help?

Cheers, Andre.