Fwd (kielmann at cs.vu.nl): Re: [saga-rg] SAGA, object states, and concurrency

'Thilo Kielmann' kielmann at cs.vu.nl
Wed Aug 2 18:14:53 CDT 2006

Thanks for the quick answer.

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 12:53:25AM +0200, Andre Merzky wrote:
>  - about the error condition: I think it makes sense to
>    start a new object instance with a clean error record.
>    I am not sure though - either way is fine with me.

Maybe we should not call this "copy"?
What would be the meaning (the reason for) this copy?
Create a clone? Or a facsimile???
Is there a word from pattern-speak describing this??

>  - about the callbacks: callbacks have a simple way to avoid
>    getting called twice (they get removed on returning
>    false).  By copying the cb's to the new instance, that
>    mechanism is effectively disabled (the cb can be called
>    on both instances, hence twice).  Also, a cb is a
>    application level object, so the SAGA implementor has no
>    control whatsoever on how large that object is, and copying
>    can be very expensive.

In this case, that would make sense NOT copying it.
However, we need a cross ref to the section on callbacks, then.

BTW: Looks like we need a whole lot of cross refs all over the place???

Cheers,

Thilo
--
Thilo Kielmann                                 http://www.cs.vu.nl/~kielmann/